My mother was a very devout Catholic of Polish extraction. She faithfully went to confession at least twice a month and followed all the laws and devotions of the church and taught us children as well as guide my Father in the Catholic faith. Then Vatican 2
Mom still held on but now destructive forces were coming from the church as well. One sermon the priest announced if you are only confessing venial sins your wasting the priests time. Apparent Father goodie two shoes never heard of sacramental grace. Can you just see Christ himself saying, “go away boy you bother me!”. In short ………NO,
As a result, per instruction of the priest, mom stopped going to confession. Then she once told me that she did the First Friday devotion in hopes that she would have a priest present on her death bed. Then she said, “with so few priests, I don’t think that will ever happen despite the devotion”. Well guess what, mom died in a Catholic hospital and was given last rites by a priest, a priest ordained before Vatican 2. How is that for a sign? I also made sure she, as well as my dad, died wearing the brown scapular.
Below are the first Friday promises. Mom’s concern was item 12 that did come to pass DESPITE the damages of Vatican 2:
Those who faithfully complete the First Friday devotion for nine consecutive months are promised the following, as told to Roman Catholic nun St. Margaret Mary Alacoque by Our Lord Jesus Christ:
- I will give them all of the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their strength during life and above all during death.
- I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place where a picture of my heart shall be set up and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant all to those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.